Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead. I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. - Philippians 3:12-14 (NIV)
We heard from Pastor Anand that we have to press on in order to move forward towards Christ and the promise he has for us. But how do we press on in a way that our focus will always be in line with Christ?
1. Press on for Christ
- A relationship with Christ is a surrender of self and submission to His purpose in our lives because to know Him is to love him.
- Christ us the ultimate reward and prize at the end as our eternal future is with Christ.
2. Press on with a purpose
- In Acts 20:24, we are called to finish the race and complete the task of testifying the good news.
- The goal of Christian life is to be transformed in his image, and to take hold of that for which Christ took hold of us.
- In order to press on, we need to keep our pursue for the purpose and make it our own, never to give up until the full purpose of God have been accomplished.
3. Press on with the Power within
- As sons and daughters of God, we can experience the Resurrection power given through Christ (v11). This power is given to us so that we can live in the way God calls us to live.
- When we experience Christ through difficult and challenging times is when we see His power, because only when we are in pain, joy becomes something we can appreciate.
- As such, we have to hold on to God and see His power working, even if it doesn't make sense.
4. Press on, forget the pass
- Do not look back, instead, move forward, because memories cannot be erased, but it can turn into precious life lessons.
- When negativity comes in, transform it into something worthy of praise.
5. Press on, be careful of distractions
- There are many temptations of sin out there.
- Everything is permitted, but everything isn't beneficial; Everything is permitted, but everything doesn't build people up.
- As written in John 10:10, distractions often comes in the form of opportunities, so we have to be wary and be grounded in the Word.
6. Press on, look forward to the future
- Jesus, our ultimate prize, is coming back
- The pursue of this prize is to finish the race of life.
- The call of God in our life, the high calling, is an "Invitation to experience special privilege and responsibility."
- 2 Timothy 4:1-7 "I have fought the good fight, and finished the good race"
To grow as a Christian, we've got to be in the race, have the proper attitude, and give it the proper effort. God has given us a race, but He also supplies us the means to sustain ourselves for the marathon of the Christian life. As such, we have to keep fighting and press on for Christ.
Recap on the sermon below!